I don't know how many people actually read my blog, nor do I care much. I do however, care about words people use when they type or spell. My mom called me Encyclopedia growing up because I liked to read and could spell. Perhaps she could have called me dictionary, because I get annoyed when easy words are misspelled or misused.
LOSE, not LOOSE -- Utah doesn't loose to BYU, they LOSE to BYU. One O, not two.
Loose indicates that something is not tight.
at least, not atleast--This is not one word, it is two.
If it is going to be cold, at least it could snow.
too, not to or two--Too can be used in place of the word also; Too can also be used for emphasis.
EX: That tree is too tall.
I want to go too(also).
a lot, not alot--The same principle applies here as it did with at least--there are two words being used, not one. A lot of people misuse these words.
should have, not should of--EX: My dad should have grown up in the depression because he likes to wear old and worn-out clothes.
there--a place or location
EX: Put it overe there.
their--indicates possession
EX: Yes, their house is painted blue.
they're--a conjunction using the words "they are"
EX: They're (They are) coming with us to the beach.
(thanks Kate)
I will continue to add these pet peeves to my list. Feel free to comment and add new words or phrases that annoy you.
Monday, December 3, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
I totally agree with a lot v alot. Another one that's really annoying is: there, their, and they're.
Post a Comment