Well today is my annual evaluation with Kiewit. I had to fill out several pages of forms critiquing myself and after doing it in pencil I realized I was being way too hard on me. Especially considering they can give raises based upon performance. So I went back through it the other day and w/o floating my boat, made it seem like they would be better off letting me stick around another year.
I have had an interesting past couple of weeks. Most people know that I love to talk to friends and touch base every so often. I have no intention of ever losing a friend. I work too hard on relationships and care too much to let them end. If I decide someone is worth investing time into, you can bet I will stick around. Unfortunately not everyone reciprocates this or has the same priorities. You know what, that's okay for the most part. I can handle it. They are friends, not family, and family does take priority.
What irks me is family who don't reciprocate. I have some extended family who I love, yes, but suck at relationships. If you have something fun to do, a new boat, outdoor activity, man they will be right there. But if you just want to see them, or they are in town and want them to come visit, or you want them to be your best man at your wedding, you know, after being your best friend since birth, and they push it aside and their dad has to make up an excuse for them that they can't afford it or something totally lame like that (after buying new skiis and an outfit), it gets old. I'm not just talking about one person, there are a few select ones. I guess if you have always been handed everything your whole life you shouldn't be expected to act any other way. Maybe just the fact that I'm writing this leads me to think that the problem is mine. However, I know that I am the one making an effort and despite the things that irk me, I will still be the one to reach out and make an effort the next time I am in town or the next time someone has a birthday I will call and wish them well. It would just be nice to not always be the giver.
Maybe that's why it means more to me when friends do things. They don't have to, you aren't family, yet they still do. I sure appreciate good friends.
Wednesday, December 19, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


1 comment:
Luke, for the last time, I'm sorry that I wasn't your best woman in your wedding. It was just that, well, I was never invited. Maybe the invitation just didn't get to me in time, but I'm running out of excuses for you!
Oh boy am I funny!
Post a Comment