Monday I started on a new project. It is a Federal Gov't building, 45,000 SF, 3 stories. Currently we have the core and shell contract and are awaiting the Tenant Finishes contract.
We had been waiting for the building permit to come through and it finally did while we were in Omaha. Last Friday Brice and I packed up our things and moved them over to the job trailer. Monday I took some time to move my stuff into my new desk and set up my computer, then had to go back to the old site and get a few things we left. Once I got back the work began.
I spent about a day and a half putting together Excel Spreadsheets to help me track the work we do related to Concrete. I will be able to do a lot more outdoor things now that those are put together. Wednesday I spent the day putting together work plans and quantities for my General Foreman, Brice, to simplify his life when we start forming the footing. Thursday was a joyous day of going over rebar drawings and verifying the engineer's work. Funny they have a novice check the pro's work, but I actually did catch a couple of things. That took ALL DAY.
Yesterday was the payoff though. I was able to be outside ALL DAY. After a week of staying busy (rare) I was able to stay busy nonstop. My super, John, does a good job of telling me what he needs me to do, what his expectations are for me, and how to most effectively and efficiently go about my work. He started as a field engineer and is one of the best teaching Superintendent's we have I have been told. So I am trying to learn as much as I can from him.
I started learning how to use the Leica Total Station survey equipment. I checked all of the layout the Subcontracted Survey Company did and make sure their layout hadn't been altered or destroyed. I also laid out the grid lines on the Drilled Piers and we laid out the outside edge of our forms. I did a lot more after that, checking my work in different ways, but for the most part you probably won't follow me, so I won't go into detail. We got a lot done today and I learned a lot, which, is most important right now. I stayed later that most do on Friday but was able to get some extra work done that will get us going faster on Monday. If we are going to make any money on the concrete (because we are self-performing the work) I have to stay ahead of the work and have the layout ready to go. I'll post some pictures next week from work.
Saturday, March 8, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


No comments:
Post a Comment